Guess what, ladies? March is Dos and Don’ts Month here at the USABride blog and naturally, we’re starting with wedding jewelry. We’d of course prefer that brides-to-be not think about their wedding jewelry and accessories in terms of mistakes to be made, but we all know that one bride who just didn’t hit the mark with her big day look.
Luckily, a little prep is all it takes to nail bridal beauty. It really is as easy as lunch hour research, and we’re here to help! First up is our 11 dos and don’ts for the bride-to-be who is ready to shop for the necklace, earrings, and bracelet she’ll wear when she goes from miss to missus.
- DO give yourself plenty of time to find the perfect wedding jewelry. If you shop in a rush, you might not be happy with what you end up wearing on your wedding day and that’s the saddest thing we can think of.
- DON’T limit yourself. We know, we know, all the guides say embrace your innate style, but a wedding should be a once in a lifetime event. Why not try a once in a lifetime look?
- DO go big. For real, there is no reason not to let your wedding jewelry do the talking for your big day outfit. Think focal point, especially if you’re wearing a relatively simple gown. Think lots of sparkle. Think tiara if you really want to!
- DON’T wear a watch. Seriously, just don’t. Even if it’s a watch that looks juuuust like a bracelet. You do not need to be anywhere on time once you are at your wedding, so don’t make it look like you’re on deadline. Wear a bridal bracelet instead.
- DO make sure your jewelry coordinates with your bridal veil! While it might be tempting to collect pieces as you encounter them, you’ll look more beautiful on your wedding day if you think of your bridal ensemble as a unified whole.
- DON’T wear a necklace with a wedding gown with an asymmetrical décolletage – let the neckline speak for itself.
- DO consider wearing two sets of wedding jewelry. Something subtle and feminine for the ceremony and then something striking and shiny for the reception, for instance. If brides can change into a second gown, no one should look askance at a jewelry swaparoo.
- DON’T go cheap. You know that we’ll never steer you toward breaking your budget, but we do suggest staying away from a certain mall chain that will sell you jewelry that looks okay for an hour or two… before turning your skin green.
- DO look for pieces you can wear again. You may not find them and that’s okay, but there’s no reason not to think long term when you’re picking out wedding jewelry.
- DON’T worry about whether your wedding ring matches your necklace and earrings. Your ring stands alone and shouldn’t dictate which finish you wear.
- DO mix and match. Wedding jewelry sets are great – seriously, we adore them – but if you’re brave enough, think about letting the old maxim inspire you to mix old and new and borrowed, too.
P.S. – We are running a sweet promo this month for 20% off all veils, so if you’re going for the traditional bridal look check out our selection!