Thinking of doing your own bridal hairstyle on your wedding day? Then we have three words for you: practice, practice, practice. Even if you’re used to doing your own hair. And especially if you want to try a new style! To start, you’ll want to have your bridal hair accessories ready to go and plenty of weeks or even months in which to do trial runs of your ‘do. Here are six tips for DIY brides from Gretchen Maurer, creator of Weddinghair.com:
1. Time your practice session and make a list of all of the tools and products you will need. You need to be 100% sure you can create the bridal hairstyle you want, including the insertion of any bridal hair accessories, in the time you’ll have.
2. Put everything in a basket and hide it away to bring out fresh and ready for your special day. Don’t try to substitute out products on the big day – use exactly what you tested in your practice sessions.
3. Schedule times for showers if you will be having relatives stay over. Make sure your bathroom needs take priority if you’re going to be sharing.
4. If you are not dressing at home make sure there is a mirror and a counter or table to work from. Take a tour of the ceremony facility to figure out exactly where you’ll be doing your wedding hair.
5. Make sure there are proper outlets – if not bring an extension cord. And bring extas of everything (e.g., hairpins), just in case.
6. Put on all of your pretty under things and cover up with a button down shirt or robe. This way after hair and makeup are done you can just slip into your gown instead of having to wiggle out of a t-shirt without mussing your hair.
Now you tell us: Would you do your own wedding day hairdo?