With so many styles and designers of wedding gowns, how do you find just the right one for your body type? Some dresses that look great on the models may not flatter your unique body characteristics. Here are some great tips for choosing wedding dresses that will compliment every body shape and size.
FOR A LARGE BUST
* To minimize a large bust, consider styles that draw attention to your face.
* Opt for a keyhole or open neckline and avoid bodices with heavy beadwork.
FOR WIDE HIPS
* Try a horizontal or square neckline. This widens the shoulders.
* Draw attention to your upper body. Consider an empire waist and a decorated bodice.
* Keep the skirt plain.
FOR A THICK WAIST
* Avoid wedding dresses that have a fitted waist.
* Bring attention away from the waist with a unique neckline.
* Try a flowing gown or an a-line cut.
FOR A TALL & SLENDER FIGURED
* Try a bodice with a lot of decoration. This brings attention away from a small bust.
* Choose an off-the-shoulder neckline to show off nice shoulders and arms.
* A wide sash can draw attention away from a long torso.
* Consider a sheath style. If you want a full skirt, try an a-line or bias cut.
FOR A PLUS-SIZED FIGURE
* A basque waist style, characterized by low waistlines, gives the illusion of an hourglass figure.
* Other flattering styles include an a-line, which starts with a fitted bodice and gradually widens and also a ball gown with a flared skirt.
* Avoid sleeveless or strapless gowns if you are self-conscious about your arms.
* Avoid shiny gowns. These dresses create the illusion of being heavier.
FOR A PETITE FIGURE
* Choose a style that gives the illusion of height. Try princess shapes, sheaths or empire cuts.
* Avoid large decorations on the dress as they can be overpowering on a small frame.
* Try a gown with a wedding collar that circles the neck. This can lengthen a short torso.
* Wedding dresses often run small. Even though you might be a size 10 in casual attire, you’ll likely need to purchase a size 12 wedding dress.
* Don’t buy a dress that is too small for you in the hope that you’ll lose weight. It is much easier to take a dress in than to let it out.
* Choose a wedding dress that compliments your personal style and personality. That way your guests won’t only be talking about your beautiful gown, but also about how beautiful you look in it.