* Spend a day making a time capsule. Each of you can write a letter containing your thoughts, dreams and hopes for your new life together. Put the two letters in a box and seal it. You can then open the box on a set date, maybe your 25th wedding anniversary.
* Consider having a sentimental theme wedding, “romantic candlelight” would be a good idea.
* Make a special wedding gift for your partner. For example, you could laminate a box with photographs or keepsakes, such as ticket stubs, from your courtship together.
*Have a message to your partner printed on a rented billboard that they will be sure to see on their way to the ceremony!
* Order a bridal bouquet with a special meaning or message. You will find that most flowers have a specific meaning. For example, ivy means fidelity, friendship and marriage, violets mean modesty and hope, zinnias mean thoughts of absent friends, jasmine is for happiness and tulips mean enchantment.
* On your wedding day, dab your, and your partner’s, handkerchiefs with your favorite fragrances, for a reminder of each other.
* Have the groom escort his mother and grandmother to their seats at your ceremony venue.
* Write your own vows. Couples often find that their own words can be more meaningful than traditional vows and can give their ceremony a feeling of intimacy.
* Incorporate a family heirloom into your ceremony. This could include a piece of jewelry, clothing or a family bible. Some brides like to copy the entire wedding gowns their mother or grandmother wore.
* Release some doves.
* Arrange for a family member or close friend to make a video consisting of photos of you and the groom since you first met. Show the video to your guests while you are having your photos taken.
* Copy the decorations or cake top used by your parents or grandparents at their wedding.
* Place wedding photos of your parents and grandparents on your cake table for a sentimental and romantic touch. If you would like, you could ask all your guests to bring a photo of their wedding and have a table set up especially to display these photos.
* Have two special champagne flutes personalized for your reception. You can then use them on special occasions at home.
* Take secret singing lessons, and surprise your fiancé at your reception by singing your song or a favorite love ballad.
* Ask your DJ or band to play your parent’s favorite song and have them dance to it.
* On your wedding night, strew your bed with rose petals.
* While you are on your honeymoon, write a postcard to your partner and mail it for a special surprise when he gets home.